Wednesday, April 26, 2006

That Mailbag Thing #2


Sorry about the prolonged absence, I've been busy. This is also going to be a short entry, because 1) I'm still busy, and 2) You people haven't sent me any material for a mailbag, except those who you see here.

What do you think about this whole Zaccahrias Moussaoui thing? I don't think he should be put to death. -Chris

Well, Chris, I don't think they should kill him either. For one, he wants to die, and for two, I don't support the death penalty or killing at all.

On to what I think. I don't have any evidence or reason to believe this guy's not a terrorist and a guy who dislikes America, but I'd be very surprised if he was in as deep as the government prosecution is portraying him. The courtroom isn't the place for politics, but sadly, this administration needs whatever good publicity it can get, including scapegoats who actually are terrorists. If they can come down hard on Moussaoui, they can make it look like they're doing a lot more to fight terrorism than they actually are. No, Iraq doesn't count as fighting terrorism, because W. attacked for political and personal reasons, and I'm pretty sure that the insurgents had nothing to do with 9/11.

I think you should weigh in on the energy fiasco and alternatives. -anonymous

By energy fiasco, I'm assuming you mean the rising gas and oil prices. In the last few decades, oil has replaced money as the root of evil. I think it's wrong that Americans should have to pay through the nose to drive their cars and heat their homes, but for slightly different reasons than one might assume. This is a shame because we should've been driving hybrid cars or using at least 85% ethanol blends 10 years ago. The technology was and is there. Instead, we can't live without the middle east and the polar ice caps are melting.

There is a somewhat bright side to this, though. Every time gas prices rise, I hope that it will wean America of it's oil addiction, to borrow a term from our dear president. I've been let down by an administration with significant oil interests every time, but there is talk now. In Iowa and Minnesota, ethanol plants are going up left and right, and I've actually seen a couple gas stations with E-85 pumps.

For alternatives, I have high hopes for cheaper, cleaner, American ethanol. Brazil is a great example, taking what they have an abundance of (sugarcane) and fueling their cars with it (sugarcane ethanol, either completely or 80-90% blends I'm not sure). This isn't just a couple models, but every car has this capability, and just about everybody takes advantage of this. Hydrogen hybrids also show great promise. I'd like to see everybody filling up their hydrogen hybrid care with E-85 (or 100, we've got the smartest people in the world after all) fuel in the next 5 years (it's definitely possible), and in the short term, really toughening fuel efficiency standards (like, this year).

If you've got anything for the mailbag, I'm happy to get stuff- redstripddonkey@yahoo.com

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good work dan

Anonymous said...

Did anybody see Stephen Colbert light it up at the White House Correspondent Dinner? It was awesome. He bashed all of the politicians left and right.

Secondly, is it all W's fault for high gas prices? I tend to think it's the entire government's fault.

Juan Wayne in '28 (Yes, I was born in the U.S.)

Anonymous said...

I don`t know just where this guy is coming from. I have a feeling that he is on a ego trip and i am not sure if he actually had anything to do with 9-11. Maybe he did and maybe he didn`t. We will probably never know. The big thing about capital punishment is not knowing if the person is really guilty. I am sure many innocent people have been executed over the years.

Anonymous said...

Alternate forms of fuel have to become a priority and soon. I would give anything if my next car could be an E-85 fueled car. How about a cruiser with this capability. Almost $3 for fuel is getting ridiculous. I know we are still cheaper than Europe but it is still a lot of money. There so many possible ways of approaching alternate fuels and they have been talked about for 50 years but the ideas have been bought out by the oil companies and we never hear about them

Anonymous said...

WHy don't we just bump the gas up so high that everyone will walk. That sounds nice, doesn't it.

Unknown said...

You can find a list of all of the vehicles, old and new, that can use E85 as well as gasoline at this site:

www.CleanAirChoice.org

The site also lists every E85 station in the Upper Midwest. It's run by the American Lung Association (where I work).