Monday, April 03, 2006

Censure W


As you can probably tell from the title, I support Sen. Feingold's bill to censure Pres. Bush.

Censure. What does it mean? The dictionary says "harsh criticism, rebuke." It's basically congress saying to the president that they really don't like what he's doing, a vote of no confidence if you will. Are there any direct repercussions? No. It's just Congress as a whole speaking their opinion, and no laws are enacted or extra restrictions placed on the President. This would, however, neuter the White House politically. Then maybe executive power and misconduct would be brought back down to safer, Clinton-era levels.

Now, I know that you conservatives are going to try to rip me apart for saying Clinton didn't commit misconduct. Read the sentence again, I said "safer" level of misconduct. Really, how much does it matter what a president does with his personal time as long as it's not illegal (as opposed to ordering illegal wire taps on Americans)? Would you rather have a president who sometimes can't keep it in his pants, or a president whose intentional lies kill 2,500 some Americans and countless others? Think about it and get back to me. I already know which one I prefer.

Back to the issue at hand. What are Sen. Feingold's grounds for this Censure? He thinks (rightly so) that a president who willingly and knowingly disobeys the law should be told by Congress (who's job it is to check the executive power) that he shouldn't be doing that. Instead we're getting closer to a scenario like this:
(with strong southern accent) "Members of Congress, I've come to you today to propose a new bill. This bill, if voted into law, will make it easier to fight the terrorists who plot to kill Americans. What I'm proposing are a few minor changes to our great constitution. Now, usually I'm a big fan of the constitution. But sometimes it can impede" (go through a couple different pronunciations on impede before using the right one) "fighting those terrorists. My plan is, see this part here 'We the people of the United States of America', now that part's good, I like it, it's what America stands for. What we do is, right after that part, we make a little cut right here" (takes scissors and separates top line of constitution from the rest, discarding the rest and keeping only the top) "and now we have the weapons we need to win the war on terror and fight those who hate democracy" (applause)

Will it come to that? Hopefully not.
There's always two sides to every story. Let's hear the president's. He claims that in order to protect America from terrorists (a noble goal) he needs to be able to listen in on Americans' communications without wasting time getting warrants. This power, he says, is given to him in Article II of the constitution. Well, believe it or not, I have a copy of the document in question right here. I'm looking at article two, and I don't see anything about unwarranted searches or surveillance in times of emergency, war, or otherwise. What Art. 2 does say is this "He (the president) shall take care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States." The first half of that is what's important. Laws, I think the constitution is the basis of all of those. Let's see what are some laws that he is supposed to execute: amendment IV "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Well,
were these laws executed faithfully? Let's see: unreasonable searches not to take place without warrant issued on probable cause. Did George W. Bush have probable cause to listen in on all these people (keep in mind, if the majority of these people were terrorists, we'd have a problem on our hands)? Nope, he didn't even have a warrant, let alone supported by an oath or affirmation. What he had was a switchboard that showed all the overseas phone calls people were making, a record button, and a pair of headphones.
The law is with Sen. Feingold on this one.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with all of the comments you have made. The president is not above the laws of our land. We are losing entirely too many of our freedoms. There are too many lies and half truths being passed around Washington. I agree that Clinton was probably not an upstanding moral man at times but we were doing much better than we are now. will comment more later

Anonymous said...

get more polls dan

Anonymous said...

Oh my God, Dan, take it to the Man. That was crazy. Nice job, especially pulling out the pesky ol' Constitution. That was great.

"Would you rather have a president who sometimes can't keep it in his pants, or a president whose intentional lies kill 2,500 some Americans and countless others? Think about it and get back to me. I already know which one I prefer."

Exactly. Great job.

Anonymous said...

Why can't liberals and conservatives agree with the other and say something nice about the other. huh? All you do is bash each other until you start pulling all kinds of put downs out of your ass that dont even pertain to politics or the subject you are talking about. Dan I am reguesting you to write positive statements about president bush.

God Bless,

chopstick

Anonymous said...

there was a tax increase in chopsticks in China the past month

Anonymous said...

chopstick wants to live in a cultish world...because no country can function that idealistically

Anonymous said...

bush sucks!!
go dan, you rock.
i think chopstick has a chopstick up his ass!

Kevin P.

Anonymous said...

way to bring in the constitution... next time i'm down in Iowa, i'm going to drag you to Iowa State... to tour it... etc...

Anonymous said...

Get more monkey pictures

Daniel W. said...

kevin, keep it clean.

Anonymous said...

Did you see that guy in North Carolina go off on the President today? It was awesome. Audience members were given the chance to ask him a question, and this guy used it as an opportunity to say stuff like, "So, Mr. President, am I being wire tapped?", "I have never been more disappointed the the leadership of this country, and that is aimed directly at your administration.", and, finally, "No, I don't have a question, I'm just commenting on your presidency, but I would like to thank you for letting me speak my opinion."

It was sweet. I cut out a lot of what he said though. You'll have to catch it on the news.

Anonymous said...

Dont be Hatin'. Its not chopstix fault hes an asian. But to the main point: This is the story of my leader and the imperial lejyon of the knite howk. We operate from a bunker in the bottom of the Baltic Sea. More of our Exalted History will be told later in a much more exalted time, and even my imperial exalted leader will chat with you again.

Anonymous said...

who is lejyon?

Anonymous said...

Did you see that guy in North Carolina go off on the President today? It was awesome. Audience members were given the chance to ask him a question, and this guy used it as an opportunity to say stuff like, "So, Mr. President, am I being wire tapped?", "I have never been more disappointed the the leadership of this country, and that is aimed directly at your administration.", and, finally, "No, I don't have a question, I'm just commenting on your presidency, but I would like to thank you for letting me speak my opinion."

It was sweet. I cut out a lot of what he said though. You'll have to catch it on the news.

6:14 PM


Yes but right after that Bush bushwacked him....................

Anonymous said...

"There's always two sides to every story" or in a Democrats case 3-6.


"president whose intentional lies kill 2,500 some Americans" Bush did not. He has morals something old WIllian dont have

"chopstix fault hes an asian" RACIST RACIST RACIST I caught you....

Anonymous said...

I just need to clear one thing up here. bueng stated at 8:47, "He has morals, something old William did not". I know that most of you weren't taught your "morals" like I was by the crazy nuns, but even you bueng should know that killing people is not a "moral", but one of the worst sins to commit, right behind the "unforgivable sin", also known as blaspheme aginst the Holy Spirit which can only be committed by non- believers.

Daniel W. said...

Good job Chris.

Anonymous said...

'um could you please not use the name Luke for a screen name YOU'RE A FAKE !!!!!!!!! I'm THE REAL LUKE !