Sunday, March 26, 2006

Playing Games With America


Secretary of State Rice said on Fox (and a couple other real news channels) recently that significant reductions of American troops in Iraq are "entirely possible" in the coming year. What does this mean really? On the surface, it seems like she's saying that we will most probably see this significant reduction in the time frame she mentions. But look at what those two words "entirely possible" mean: if it's possible, just a 1 in a trillion chance, that a meteor could smash into earth in the next year, you could also argue that such an event is "entirely possible", because their is a possibility. The conditions of the troop reduction "possibility" are that Iraqis can control themselves, and their police and armed forces are ready to go. A year seems like pretty quick recovery time from near civil war. No need to make any binding commitments Ms. Rice.

Here's something else: her case for being able to bring these troops home is what Gen. Casey (the top guy in Iraq) told congress in January, which is that if we could bring down the American presence in Iraq we'd fuel the insurgency less. Maybe this news hasn't reached the White House yet, but there has been a huge increase in sectarian violence since then, which has the makings of a civil war (I've already mentioned this). I can't say for sure, but it seems that if we were to take more than a couple of soldiers out of Iraq now, the Shias and Sunnis would just go at it until all the Sunnis were dead. That might stabilize the area, but that's a lot of dead people.

So why are we being to subjected to all these lies? Well, in less than eight months, there's going to be an election. If the republicans can't turn the situation around in Iraq (or at least convince enough Americans that they have), they'll do badly. It's simple election year politics. Don't get me wrong, democrats do it too, but they would be suicidal to make such a huge promise when it's pretty obvious they can't keep it. So why are republicans (or the White House at least) doing it? My guess would be that they know they're going to lose badly if they can't pull something big, so they're going all in (to borrow a poker term). They don't really care that they can't possibly deliver what they're promising you. Republicans are just playing games with you and me.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, pretty sure I'm the retarded cousin here because I don't understand anything about politics or what you are saying, I know I agree with you but I'm not that intelligent...

Anonymous said...

Whatever the Jamster said, I agree with but... Ahem... May I just request an article on the topic of Euthanasia? It just piques my interest and curiousity.


~ Mai (Your cousin's friend[Jamie, obvously])

Anonymous said...

um....You fail to mention that the Democrats are not all on one side of things............

Drew H. said...

Speaking of Condi, what will you do if she becomes the Commish of the NFL? I'm expecting potential for bodily harm. Self mutilation type stuff.

I'm officially announcing my attentions to run for President.

Heitz 2026.

Drew H. said...

Correction, Heitz for 2028.

Anonymous said...

If you're a independent you guys dont get alot of votes..............

Daniel W. said...

I leave it up to you, Drew, to make sure that woman is allowed nowhere near Football.
And Mai: What about euthanasia? In humans I'm assuming, like assisted suicide?

Anonymous said...

Yessir! What I was getting at is: Should euthanasia be allowed as an option for incredibly sick patients and if they are too sick to decide on their own, should they're family, relatives, friends, and doctors be able to have a say in it? Should it be legalized?

~Mai

Daniel W. said...

I think I'll have my first mail-bag edition either tonight or tomorrow, you've just made it into that.

Drew H. said...

Dan! Goin' all mailbag on us.

I guess I'll have to swamp your e-mail with messages...

Anonymous said...

~Mai You speek to smart-like for us rednecks what is Euthinasia it souds like somphin i ate off of the road!

Anonymous said...

if i had to guess i would guess that that anonymous person that just commented is michael, i could be wrong, i don't think daniel chooses to keep a lot of idiots in his life

Anonymous said...

So that's why your breathe smelled so horridly similar to the stench of dead platypus! Don't ask how I knew... My spork-weilding bunnies told me. By the way... I used the wrong type of they're/their on my last comment. Just to point that out. I'm a failure and I'm deeply ashamed. Jamster has preeeeetty weird cousins.

~Mai

Anonymous said...

Maybe America is playing games with you. Ever thought of that? Huh, huh? Have you?

Didn't think so.

I'm so smart.

Anonymous said...

you're as smart as an ass...........

Anonymous said...

I think I just saw a republican fall into a toilet. This is a real political place.

Fight the good Fight!

Anonymous said...

Трахнитесь U kerels

Anonymous said...

dont make fun of eatind roadkill...
thats my sole sustinance

Kevin P.

Anonymous said...

I just need to clear one thing up here for you simple, city folk. IOWANS ARE NOT REDNECKS!!! The people of the midwestern states are called HICKS. Not rednecks. People of the south western states are called rednecks. Somewhere form Tennessee through Texas into Nevada. The people of the swamps, (LOuisiana, Florida, and Georgia), are uncommonly known as Booneywhackers. The people of the Applachian Mountains are known as Mountain Hicks because they can't speak good English.

Anonymous said...

Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my country gospel music lyrics site.
Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

Hi
Very nice and intrestingss story.