Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Why Does Everybody Hate John Kerry?

Maybe you've heard, maybe you haven't, but John Kerry has once again made headlines for something he probably regrets now. While speaking in California, he cracked a joke which (although he definitely didn't mean it to) seemed to imply that the men and women of our armed forces are stupid. That's not the end, he was reluctant to apoligize, and didn't do so for 24 hours. Now it's headline news and the only spot of bad news for Democrats coming into the election. Of course, I'd like to kick John Kerry right now, along with all the reporters who won't stop talking about his lapse of judgement. But cut him some slack! Almost any other Democrat could've said the same thing and it wouldn't have gotten this kind of attention. So today I'll be examing why everybody seems to hate John Kerry.

While I'm frustrated, let me say that John Kerry doesn't hate our troops. He served honorably in the Vietnam war, no matter what republicans say, and he supports service men and women just as much as you and I. What I don't understand is why republicans can't let the 2004 election go. The most common rebuttal for my criticisms of the president or even republicans in general is something about how at least we're better off than we would be with a flip-flopping injury faker. What does that have to do with anything? Your side won, and has failed to accomplish anything, so you continue to call the opponent in an election two years ago names that have absolutely no bearing on anything now that the election has been decided. I think it should be noted here that another common talking point among my conservative peers is how Clinton had no morals, so George Bush is good. Again, that's completely irrelevant, just let it go.

Having shown that I support John Kerry as much as the next democratic senator, I do have to admit that his public image is very succeptible to spin from the republicans. With this reality in consideration, I have a plan. What if Kerry switched his party affiliation to independent. He'd still get elected as long as he wants in his state what with his incumbancy and everybody knowing his name, and nothing he does or says could be used by the republicans against the democrats, because Kerry wouldn't be a democrat. He would still be a democrat in all but name, free to vote the party line, support causes, and he can take enough shots and jabs at the white house to drive them nuts. But Bush and Rush Limbaugh can't spin it and misconstrue it to mean that democrats hate our troops, not to mention America in general (not that they won't try for a while).

The good news though, is that I heard a guy on the news this morning saying that this has hardly affected Democrats as we close in on election day. I guess I'm done for now. Just remember that this election isn't about John Kerry (no matter how many republicans are trying to relive 2004), it's about George W. Bush's complete mismanagement of America and the War on Terror, and his refusal to change anything for the better.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if John Kerry would actually be re-elected considering the costs of advertising.

But anyways, it's annoying that his quote was taken the wrong way -- but even if he meant what he said, was it THAT inaccurate? Seriously, how many 4.0 students do you see lining up for the Army? Sure, it wasn't the most politically correct thing to say, but I'm sure most of us have made the generalization that our soldiers are "good ol' boys" looking to get some terrorists.

What's worse, the remarks of Kerry or the death of soldiers? Sticks and stones (or bullets and bombs) may break my bones but words will never hurt me...

So what does that mean for President Bush?

Anonymous said...

This is a bit off-topic but I can't figure it out... what's up with the Ridester link on your links section?

Daniel W. said...

In response to anon.: You said better than me.

to Marlboro: Ridester is a way to reduce gasoline usage, and therefore a way to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, which fits in nicely with my liberal agenda...

Anonymous said...

I like that idea of changing to Independent and throw off their anti-democratic ideas. I am so sick of negative campaign ads and will be glad when the election is over. Don`t forget to vote if you are old enough .---for those who are reading this. thanks for getting back with some more writings GMA

Anonymous said...

I am now serving in Iraq and one of my buddies saw this site so I decided to check it out. I have to say that I am appaled by what I have read. How can anyone support John Kerry? He may have made a mistake but he did not alpologize or admit his mistake until days later.
I want the Republicans to stay in power no matter how bad they are, but they are better than troop hating liberals. If you call me names and a loser, you are calling all of my fellows soldiers here that too. We all are casting our votes ,for the most part, for Republicans

Anonymous said...

First off, I would like to say that the Anonymous right above me is a liar. I just looked at the people that have visited Dan's site in the last week and see none located in Iraq. A few from Ireland, one or two from England, a guy from France, and some other countries, but none from Iraq. I suspect it's Bing boy that wrote that.

But anyways, I still don't understand how Republicans really "support our troops" when they underfund them, leaving them in harms way without proper equipment. I guess that's loyalty. Hell, when Rumsfeld went over to Iraq a while back, one soldier stood up asking him why they are put in harms way without body arm to which he replied to the effect, "You have to fight with the Army you have, not the one you dream about."

So are our troops supposed to sacrifice their lives for the name of an unjust war in which the people that "care" for them only say so for political purposes.

I will say this: our country needs to get away from this ultra-liberal or ultra-conservative movement. I can only hope that we can get a moderate that can get things done because it's right instead of doing things in the name of politics.

Drew H. said...

Oh, here's some great video. I laughed... hard... my ribs still hurt... and that was like 15 minutes ago. It's classic.
http://politicalhumor.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=politicalhumor&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.huffingtonpost.com%2F2006%2F10%2F25%2Fsen-burns-shows-off-his-_n_32497.html

Anonymous said...

Drew, I'd never impersonate a soldier. That is a foul thing to do. I and Dan think it was you who did that just to make fun of it.

Whoever did it is a bad person

Drew H. said...

I'm in gym class at 2:04, waiting for my class to end. How would I have access to a computer?

Drew H. said...

And the visitor that left at 2:05 accessed from a school computer. Find someone who would be on a computer 6th period and you have your man.