Friday, August 04, 2006

Raising the Bottom Line




Right now, the federal minimum wage is set at $5.15/hour. It hasn't been raised for something like a decade, although a few states (but not mine), have taken the liberty of raising it themselves. Republicans in congress have blocked a couple attempts by Democrats in just the last few months to raise the minimum wage to $7 something/hour. I don't know why, maybe they just don't care about all the people living below the poverty level. In a move that shows who Republicans really care about, they recently tried to abolish the estate tax, and in that bill also included a raise in the minimum wage to $7.20/hour. Needless to say, most Democrats who want the wage increased voted against this bill (and I support them). This was an underhanded move to try to get rid of the whole minimum wage issue and at the same time fulfill a promise they've made to the rich quite often. Once again, the well being of America was one of the last things on Republicans' minds.

I have a job that pays $5.15/hour. I could do with a raise. I also have a lot of friends who make more than $5.15/hour, but less than $7.20. We'd all get a raise if the minimum wage were raised, as it should be. This is by no means the most important issue at stake in this election, but I'd say it's in the top 10.

I find it interesting how a congress that has been led by Republicans for the last 10 years has raised it's own pay quite a bit since they last gave the poorer part of America a break. And now, any small bone thrown to poor people has to be compensated for with a giant tax break for millionaires. Not really the priorities I'd have if I were elected by any district in the U.S., because I don't know of any districts where millionaires outnumber minimum wage earners (let alone in those proportions).

Let's now debunk the main myth that's used to justify not raising the minimum wage: It hurts businesses and therefore, it hurts the economy and America. If you're living below the poverty line (which you are if you make $5.15/hour), you're not spending much. If you had a little more money, you'd spend more of it, therefore helping the economy. And a good economy is good for business. I see no problem.

We now have a couple of very good reasons to raise the minimum wage, and none not to, so let's do it. Besides, if the money's really not there, why does congress need a pay raise every couple of years?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You gosh darn teenagers don't need more money to go out and spend on drugs and alcohol. Why give the drug addicts of this world more money that eventually floats to terrorists through the drug trade?

Drew H. said...

Dan, B&U needs a new look. Give me a chance and I can make this into a sparkling site.

Daniel W. said...

Email me a plan of what you'd do then. I like it just fine now, but I'm aware there's always room for improvement.

Anonymous said...

It is fine

Drew H. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I don`t know how anyone that is trying to support themselves and or a family can make it on minimum wage.. Something has to be left undone no matter what. The estate tax situation by my understanding doesn`t really affect most people --only the rich as you say. If some of the things I vaguely remember reading are true it would be better to have an estate tax. If someone inherits abusiness the capital gain goes back to the original purchase price not the present value. Which would make a huge difference if an heir tried to sell the business after inheriting it. I have a feeling that the estate tax would be a lot cheaper.(the capital gain would then be figured on the present value.) I totally disagree with attaching two entirely different ideas into one bill. Some food for thought DAniel. Let`s hope that minimum wage will give the poor people a chance to move up if it is raised. GMA

Anonymous said...

The poor people deserve to be there they had a chance to be prosperous but dropped out of skool and bought drugs and booze and thus became poor.

Their fault.